Thursday, April 8, 2010

This week I celebrated my 50th birthday. A year ago after what seemed to be the worst birthday of my life (which had nothing to do with my age) I began making plans for my fiftieth to ensure that it would be my best birthday ever. I informed my family that the following year they would be throwing me the biggest birthday party ever (yeah, I’m bossy like that). We would invite everyone who was or had ever been an important part of my life.The guest list would be like “this is your life, Debbie Hyde!" There would be lots of food and drink and music - a HUGE celebration with all of the people that I love. Thinking about that wonderful party got me through my 49th birthday and the months to follow.

Before the end of my birthday month, I moved into a little guest house on a ranch in Chappell Hill, Texas. By May a long and agonizing divorce was finally over. By July, I purchased an 80 year old bungalo and began the process of making it my own. Soon it was autumn and I prepared for a visit from three of my dearest friends. Fall also brought more change and I accepted a new job offer and by December I left my beloved Imago Dei. The holidays brought lots of family celebration and in January we welcomed the newest member of our family Henry Wisdom Hyde. I thought the winter would never end. Cold weather and family illness, some days seemed so bleak. Finally, spring time! Easter and family and sunshine! My family asked if they should begin to plan my party? I pictured the huge extravaganza in my head and smiled to myself and answered, “I would really rather just have a quiet dinner at home.” And so we did.

At the end of the evening, my five year old grandson, Jonas asked if he could read me a bedtime story. He chose “Curious George’s Birthday Surprise".

It was undoubtedly the best birthday ever.

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!! Welcome to the blogdom!

    Happy (late) birthday!
    And can I just say...I hope that when I am 50 that I look half as beautiful as you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a special lady, Debbie. :] It sounds like your birthday was just as wonderful as you are!

    ReplyDelete